Saturday, December 14, 2013

Deadline approaching!


January 1st is fast approaching! I have two weeks left to complete my SlideRoom submission for entry into UCONN's Masters in Fine Arts Program. Choosing 20 pieces of my artwork is harder than I first expected. I'm trying to select my 'best' work, which is hard in and of itself.  'Best' is subjective and is governed by personal taste.  I have some pieces that demonstrate a high technical ability, yet lack in conceptual content. While I have other pieces that are aesthetically pleasing, yet are not part of a unified body of work. Hmmmmm....which do I choose?

So far, I have many of my pieces laid out around my studio for consideration. Whichever pieces make the cut, I'll then have to take high quality photographs of them and upload the images to UCONN's SlideRoom, where my work will be judged and critiqued as to its worthiness. UCONN will then make their top selections and invite the candidates to the University for a one on one interview in February 2014.
NO PRESSURE!

This process began the beginning of this year.  I have had many people help me along the way. Some gave needed critiques of my art, while some shared their wisdom and gently provided guidance. I've received many words of encouragement and nudges to keep me working. (Sometimes outright shoves!)  I am indebted to all those who gave valuable input for writing my Artist Statement of Purpose. I would not have had as strong a package without all of your support. I am eternally grateful.
Thank you!  Thank you! Thank you!
The process is not complete yet, I just wanted to take a moment to express my gratitude.
Whether I am selected into the Masters in Fine Arts program or not, this experience has matured me as an artist...and THAT'S what is is all about!

My goals: Selecting work that demonstrates
-my technical abilities
-well thought out original conceptual ideas
-cohesion - works together as a group
-my diversity in media execution (oil, watercolor, acrylic, clay, video, mixed media)
-my selection of diverse subject matter (landscape, abstract, portraiture, still life)


Criteria from UCONN's website:
Portfolio Review
A portfolio of 20 pieces should represent your best work while demonstrating independent thinking and the diversity of your experiences in the visual arts. The portfolio should include drawings from direct observation. Your strongest area of work should make up the largest proportion of your portfolio.  The portfolio also may include works in:
 -Drawing (this includes traditional drawing techniques on paper as well as drawings done on a number of alternative surfaces including sidewalks, cardboard, interior and exterior walls. Examples must reflect a basic understanding of observational drawing. Pieces other than renderings of action heroes and Anime lookalikes are encouraged.
-Artist books (all types and sizes)
-Sketch books (all types and sizes)
-Painting (this includes traditional stretched canvas as well as painting on a variety of surfaces including murals, interior and exterior walls, wood panels and all types of paper)
-Photography (it is important to know that digital photographic images will be evaluated on composition, subject matter and image quality.  Some awareness of how the digital format is functioning beyond the straight forwardness of taking an image (for example a sunset) or by using a filter in Photoshop and submitting this an artistic, creative image needs to be reflected in the images.
-3 Dimensional/Sculptural works (this includes traditional sculptural work as well as collage, installation, wearable art, clothing, jewelry, functional ad non-functional ceramics or three dimensional work of any kind)
-Prints (images that are being created by using various traditional and non-traditional printmaking techniques)
-Digital Imagery (will digital technology is available to most everyone in this culture, we recognize it as a tool for creative practice, the technology itself is not the end result. It is important to know that digital images will be evaluated on composition, creativity, design, subject matter and image quality with some awareness of how the digital format is functioning beyond simply what the program can create and submitting this an artistic, creative image)
-Mixed media (collage, installation)
-Video
The portfolio should be the best possible collection of your work. For example, if drawing is your strongest area, then drawings should be the majority of the work in your portfolio. The portfolio can include finished pieces, work in progress, and sketchbooks. Applicants submitting digital photographs also need to submit images of other forms of image-making as well. It is not necessary to mat any of your work.

No comments:

Post a Comment