Wednesday, March 6, 2013

I'm still learning...

A quoted segment from the book I'm reading....
"The lessons you are meant to learn are in your work. To see them, you need only look at the work clearly - without judgment, without need or fear, without wishes or hopes. Without emotional expectations. Ask your work what it needs, not what you need. Then set aside your fears and listen, the way a good parent listens to a child."
-Art & Fear

Words that strike a chord inside me. Although I am reading this book because it directly relates to my attitudes towards my art. I see clearly how these words apply to how I can handle myself in my personal relationships as well.

When I re-read this segment with that in mind a truth about those words pierces me!  Without emotional expectation, judgment, need or fear you have to change how you move. Accept more, listen more, learn more.  Something happens when you make the shift from saying what 'you need' opposed to asking what 'they need'. Your focus becomes outward, making room to be filled up thus deminishing any 'need' to begin with.
I can be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment